Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday: Improving habits

Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke in the recent conference about simplifying our lives. I love this quote from that address:

"One of the better ways to simplify our lives is to follow the counsel we have so often received to live within our income, stay out of debt, and save for a rainy day. We should practice and increase our habits of thrift, industry, economy, and frugality. Members of a well-managed family do not pay interest; they earn it."

It is not hard to imagine how simple bill paying would be if we had no loan payments and our income was much larger than our expenses.  

I look forward to the day when car repairs are a matter of finding a good mechanic rather than "how on earth can we afford this?"

My children need to see the example of thrift, industry, economy and frugality from me to combat the visions of waste, being lazy, extravagance, and debt they find in the world today.

I have been thinking lately what I can do to increase my habits in these areas and I've decided that the biggest thing I need to do is make more food from scratch.

When my kitchen is dirty I refuse to cook.  Searching for clean dishes and utensils, cleaning the dirty ones so I can cook is not my idea of fun.  So, hurtle number one will be to keep my kitchen clean and ready to go.

Hurtle number two is the time issue.  From about 4pm till bedtime my house is out of control!  The baby insist on being held or taken on walks outside.  People are getting home, doing homework, doing chores, getting ready and leaving for meetings or activities, and needing mom's help for all of it.  Amidst all this dinner must be prepared and eaten.

I'm considering starting a baking or cooking day every week.  I will try and prepare as much as I can this day to make food prep the rest of the week easier.

It will be fun trying new recipes and learning how to make things from scratch (or laughing at the huge messes and disasters!) and I'll be sharing my journey with you here in a new series called "Make it Monday."  I'll also be exploring the cost of these projects and if it really is cheaper to make it from scratch.

Because of the holiday I'll be starting the series on Monday, November 10th.  Till then think on what Elder Perry said and find a way to increase your own habits.

1 comment:

Christensen Family said...

I attended an enrichment one time where they presented a once a month cooking philosopy. You did all your shopping on a Friday and then the next day did all your cooking and prep for a month's worth of freezer meals. I've often thought about adapting them to like a weekly basis...there are lots of books at the library or the bookstore. Google: meals for a month...