Monday, November 10, 2008

Make it Monday: French Bread

Sorry this post is late.  It seems that whenever you attempt to do something good or important powers combine to prevent that attempt.  I had to battle with sick kids and previous commitments that took way more time than I had.  I was unable to complete my entire list of things to make for this week, but I was able to get a few things done to bless my family.

Our family loves french bread. From French Bread Pizza's and Sub Sandwiches to Garlic Toast and Bread 'n Cheese we could go through 2 or 3 loaves a week. So, french bread is a prime candidate for my Make it Monday.

I've attempted making this bread from scratch a couple times with varying results. I have a few recipes left to try and this week I attempted the recipe that came with my Kitchen Aid Mixer.

The recipe was relatively easy, dissolve the yeast in warm water, throw all the ingredients in the mixer and let it do its thing. I had problems with the raising part.

The first raise was fine, then I punched it down and formed the loaves. The problem came with the second raise. I let it go too long and the loaves kind of flattened out and had lots of holes. Taste with these loaves wasn't so great, maybe too much flour. They will be fine for pizza and sandwiches, but on their own they're not very tasty.

I haven't decided if I will try this recipe again or not. I should just stop fooling around and try my good friend Ashley's recipe here, but I'm a wimp and it sounds complicated and hard (that's probably why it would be worth it!). I guess we will see.

Since I was unable to complete my entire list of things for Make it Monday I settled on chopping up some vegetables for soup and munching to store in the freezer and refrigerator.


I'm hoping next week will be better and I can get tons prepared for my family.  Thank you for joining me on this journey of saving money and providing for our families, may it inspire you to get up and make something for your family today.

No comments: