Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday: Gratitude

"We owe an eternal debt of gratitude to all of those, past and present, who have given so much of themselves that we might have so much ourselves."
-President Thomas S. Monson, “The Profound Power of Gratitude.”
I have begun reading a few talks and scriptures on gratitude leading up to Thanksgiving next week. I'm struck with how much I owe to those who have come before me for all the advancements that affect every aspect of my daily life.

The scientists who developed antibiotics so my baby with strep can recover quickly.

All the people who developed computers and internet so I can blog and research new things at the touch of a button or click of a mouse.

The manufacturers and growers of food who constantly strive for better products so I can enjoy thousands of different foods in my home with little work on my part.

My parents who taught me right from wrong and instilled in me a great set of values so I can be the best possible me.

Ancestors who made the long and dangerous journey across the sea and the continent so I can live in the land of the free and enjoy the blessings and opportunity here.

Builders and Engineers who invented shelter and heat so I can enjoy a frosty November morning from the comfort of my home.

How do we repay them? What can we do in return? Why do we take all this for granted and assume we are entitled to it? What did we do that was so great? What can we do that will be great?

No comments: