Monday, January 26, 2009

Make it Monday: Pumpkin Muffins


I tried this recipe here for Pumpkin Muffins and was pretty impressed.  Not only are they full of good for you ingredients (and 92% food storage friendly - I need to dabble with dehydrated egg powder), but my kids absolutely love them!  

I did reduce the sugar by a third since my applesauce was sweetened and next time I'm using whole wheat flour.  The muffins freeze great and all we need to do is pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds for a quick treat or to serve with yogurt for breakfast.

I figured that I spent about $1 per dozen muffins. My Pumpkin, Applesauce and Baking Soda were free and I had no idea how much the Baking Powder, Spices and Walnut cost since they were from my pantry (I calculated $.88 per dozen then rounded up for the unknowns). 

Again this week I made bread and gorditas.  My lesson this week for making bread was to bring the yeast to room temperature before I mixed it into the dry ingredients.  The bread raised much quicker and higher in its allotted 25 min.

No comments: