Monday, February 2, 2009

Make it Monday: Shredded Chicken


I roasted two beautiful chickens this morning. They were on sale for $.69 per lb. a couple of weeks ago and I just barely got around to cooking them up. I like to bake a couple at a time, shred all the meat and freeze in 2 cup portions to use later.


I got about 10 cups of shredded chicken from those two little birds.  Enough to make 5 or 6 meals.  It works out to roughly $.50 per cup.  I love the ease and convenience of pulling a tub from the freezer then whipping up whatever casserole or soup/stew is on the menu.

I should have taken the bones, leftovers and drippings added carrots, celery, herbs and spices, and a couple quarts of water to make broth.  (Just simmer for 3-4 hours)  But, I haven't been feeling wonderful the last couple of days so maybe next time.

No comments: