The nice fix-it fella told me it was a $150 part and gave me a grand total quote of $274.56 to fix my originally $350 4 year old dryer.
He let me pay a "Trip and Diagnosis Charge" which could go toward the total charge if we chose to have them fix it. Then he left and I called the Fishographer.
We got on the internet and started doing some research. The model we own is no longer available, of course, but most new dryers start at about $300. I started wondering about the $150 timer and did a search for those. Which led me to the exact same part for $75 plus shipping.
I called the Fishographer again and asked if he was willing to replace it himself. Back on the internet we got on You Tube watched a clip and decided we could do this. It's a very simple unplug from the old plug in the new.
We ordered the part and it showed up this afternoon. About 4 minutes after we opened the box I had a working dryer. Yeah!
Trip and Diagnosis Charge $47.98
New Timer $81.94
Grand Total: $129.92
Saving $144.64 by doing it ourselves - Priceless.
The little bugger that caused so much trouble....
I'm a big fan of DIY, we often go that route to save money. I think lots and lots of research as well as occasional input from professionals will make things go smooth.