Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tip Tuesday: My Beautiful Binder

Until recently I used the file system for keeping all my coupons organized. Then, I attended a Savvy Shopper class and Amy convinced me to try out the "binder method." (Mostly because the day before I'd gone shopping without my coupons, doh!)

Basically, you clip all the coupons you think you might use whenever an insert comes out and store them in baseball card sheets in a binder. The binder goes with you while shopping so you always have access to your Q's. Improving the chance that if you find something marked down or on clearance you'll be able to match a coupon for a great deal.

Here's my binder:

Isn't it pretty! Purple is my favorite color. My binder is a CaseIt 4" with strap and velcro closure. Ideally I wanted a 3" zipper binder, but I found this beauty on clearance at Office Max for $6 (reg. $19.99). So, that's what I'm using.

There's an accordion section in the front where I keep all the current store circulars. You never know when you need to check a price or a size or find out what's included in a Mix & Match sale.


This is the store section (Albertson's is pictured). Where I keep my list for that store, any coupons I'm using that day, plus any catalinas or store coupons. While I'm shopping I'm turned to this page. My binder lies open on the basket part of the cart (see pictures of other people's set up here and here).


And, finally, I have my coupons organized in Categories and Sub-Categories. The Categories are labeled on tabbed dividers and the Sub-Categories are labeled with a sticker on the bottom right hand side of the baseball card holders.

Since I have had several requests for how I label, here are my Categories:
  • Baby
    • Diapers
      Wipes
      Soaps/Shampoos

  • Bread & Cereal
    • Cereal (2)
      Breakfast Foods
      Bars
      Breads
      Rice/Pasta
      Chips/Crackers
      Popcorn

  • Canned Goods
    • Fruits
      Vegetables
      Soups
      Other

  • Cleaners
    • Dish Cleaners
      Fabric Cleaners (2)
      Standard Cleaners (2)
      Bathroom Cleaners
      Air Fresheners

  • Dairy
    • Cheese
      Butter/Oil
      Yogurt
      Other

  • Dessert
    • Cookies
      Frozen Desserts
      Cake/Brownie Mixes
      Fruit Snacks/Jello/Pudding
      Drinks (2)
      Candy
      Baking Goods

  • Meat
    • Poultry
      Lunchmeat
      Breakfast Meat
      Seasonings/Sauces
      Other

  • Medicine
    • Pain Relievers
      First Aid
      Stomach Aids
      Vitamins
      Other

  • Paper Goods
    • Tissues/Paper Towels/Napkins
      Bags
      Foils/Wraps/Containers
      Plates/Cups/Utensils
      Toilet Paper

  • Personal Hygiene
    • Facial Cleansers
      Bodywash/Soaps (2)
      Lotion
      Toothbrushes
      Toothpaste
      Other Tooth Stuff
      Deodorant (2)
      Shaving Needs
      Makeup
      Shampoo/Stylers (2)
      Feminine Hygiene
      Personal Items
      Eye Stuff
      Other

  • Misc.
    • Nuts/Peanut Butter
      Sauces/Salsa/Ketchup
      Frozen Goods (2)
      Salads/Dressing
      Fresh Produce
      Other Food
      Other Household Items

  • Retail

  • Restaurant
Categories are very personal and will change. For example we do not have a pet, so I have no pet section. We also use very little medicine so that is reflected in my sub-categories for that section. You should customize your Categories and Sub-Categories to match your families situation as well as likes and dislikes.

I really like my binder. I'm able to snatch up deals I wouldn't have been otherwise. And, I will no longer forget my coupon envelope as it's really hard to forget the beast of a binder I have.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I use a binder also and I love it. I switched about 2 months ago and it's much easier now. I still have a little tweaking to do but it's better.