Friday, March 25, 2011

Soda and Car Update

Well, it has been almost a month and a half since I broke the soda habit, 42 days to be exact, and I am happy to report I'm still soda free.

Except for a Root beer float a week or so ago, but I can't decide if that should count or not.

I've had to fight the peer pressure from my 3 year old.  He has to point out the Dr. Pepper everywhere we go and, he cries if we don't go to the gas station on the way home from taking the Fishographer to work.  {sigh}  I'm hoping he forgets about it soon.  He will right?

Some days have been hard, but overall it is getting much easier.  I'm also finding it easier to stick to my grocery budget.  I know $6-$7 a week shouldn't make that big of a difference, but I suspect there's more to it than the numbers.  I feel like I'm being blessed for making a better choice.

In other news.

We sold the Jeep exactly 6 months ago becoming a single car family, and I have to say I don't really miss it.  Well, I miss the Jeep.  I don't miss the two car thing.

The days I'm stuck at home are so nice.  I can focus on taking care of the house and the family.  When I have a car once a week I'm all over the place running errands.  At home I can't interrupt my day and go to the bank or a store.  I have to put it on a list for a car day.  Sometimes errands are erased from the list because I decide they aren't all that important after all.  That, in and of itself, is saving us money.

With all the nice weather we've been having (HA I just looked out the window and it is SNOWING!) we'll be able to walk to more places and get some good exercise.  Even now in the bad weather I have been bundling the boys up and tossing them in the stroller for walks and to visit neighbors.  They love it. My hips love it too.

We spend more time together as a family.  Wether it is going to pick up the Fishographer from work, or a little shopping in the evening.  The girls grab their books and get extra reading in while we drive or we put on a Primary CD and they all practice their singing.  Fun times!

I think the Fishographer would really like to get a little commuter car because gas is *killing* us right now, but other than that I am pretty content with the situation.

Looking back and seeing how far we've come on our goals is so motivating to me.  I can't wait to start working on something else to help us save money and reach our financial goals.

No comments: